When Nespresso asked me if I would like to create a recipe using their new limited edition ice coffee capsules and aeroccino I of course jumped at the opportunity. Anything to do with coffee is always a yes from me.
I wanted to create my version of the “ultimate ice coffee” so whilst thinking of what exactly that meant to me my thoughts drifted to all the delicious ice coffees I had as a teenager. They were filled with chocolate sauce and nothing but sugary goodness I mean badness, bad bad haha. Clearly I’m going to make a healthy guilt free version here. I also wanted to put a more sophisticated twist to my childhood ice coffee fantasy so immediately I thought of chai, my favourite flavour. So here it is for your pleasure always.
Vegan iced dirty chai
(Incase you didn’t know “dirty chai” is pretty much coffee and tea together)
3 medjool dates
1 tablespoon of cacao
2 tablespoons of maple
2 Nespresso Leggero on Ice capsules
2 chai tea, tea bags
1 cup of almond milk
( Here is the link to my almond milk recipe, or you can use store bought but homemade is always the best)
You will also need
– an ice tray
– Nespresso Coffee machine
– Aeroccino Milk Frothing Machine
– a nice big glass
The night before ….
1. Make a large cup of hot water and place your 2 teabags in and steep for 5-10 minutes. Remove the tea bags and throw away. Add the maple to your tea, stir and pop in the fridge to cool down. Once cool place in your ice tray overnight to make your “chai tea ice cubes”
Depending on your taste buds you can add more or less maple. I find this to be the perfect amount though. Naughty but nice.
1. Pre soak 3 medjool dates in a small cup of water. Use only enough water to cover the dates. Place in fridge for 2 hours ….. 2 hours later.
2. Place your soaked dates with the water they have been soaking in into your blender. Add the cacao and blend until smooth. This is your delish choc/caramel sauce to drizzle in your glass.
1. Take a nice big glass and drizzle your choc caramel sauce into the glass. Try and get as much as you can around the sides although it doesn’t really stay there as much as real chocolate sauce does.
2. Take 2 Leggero on Ice pods and make 2 espresso shots of coffee, place to the side
3. Fill your Aeroccino Milk Frothing Machine with your almond milk and press the COLD button to create a cold frothed milk perfect for iced coffees
4. Take your pre made chai ice cubes and fill your sauce covered glass with the cubes all the way to the top
5. Add your frothed almond milk on top of the ice, leaving just enough room to add your 2 shots of coffee
6. Add your 2 shots of coffee on top of your milk and ice and your all done.
This is such an awesome treat you can make for your friends on a summer afternoon. You could also add a shot of vodka if you wanted to make a cheeky choc chai cocktail.
The great thing about this is the limited edition pods only cost $6.7hk each so your summer treat doesn’t have to cost you an arm and a leg!